[Avodah] TIDE and Austritt

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jul 1 10:07:23 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 02:34:15PM -0400, ssvarc at yeshivanet.com wrote:
: R' Micha ... asked:
: A question for Avodah -- were Austritt and TiDE inextractably linked as
: one overall hashkafah? Or can one agree with RSRH on TiDE but relegate
: Austritt to a time when R was in rapid growth and a challenge to O?
: To me it is clear, after reading R' Elias ;) and Collected Writings, that
: they are inextricably linked. It is a clear outgrowth of the need for the
: Torah to reign supreme in all areas, including communal as well.

: However, the question of his reaction to Israel is more complicated, and I
: won't venture a guess as to where he would of ended up. Someplace on the
: spectrum from Brisk (total Austritt) to Agudah (ideological Austritt but
: pragamatic cooperation), where exactly I don't know.

It seems to me that while in your first paragraph you say that it's
clear that TiDE implies Austritt, regardless of which community it is
you're walking away from, in your second paragraph you open the door to
the possibility of cooperation on non-Torah matters.

RYBS's midpoint answer also insists on a society in which Torah reigns
supreme. However, it does so without cutting themselves off from the
non-observant world in matters in which that allegiance isn't threatened.