[Avodah] Outside societies' standards

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Wed Sep 24 12:11:51 PDT 2008

While iiuc it's generally assumed that minhag hasochrim includes the
sochrim of the broader society, I suppose it's obvious that generally
accepted business principles would have a halachik impact where we are
trying to understand the meeting of the minds.
I found of interest the Prisha on the TUR Y"D 182 re haavarat sear.  The
Tur says that in a place where men generally do it "ein makkin
oto"(me-strange language which sounds like assur but...but maybe that's
his derech-I'm certainly no expert)  In any event the Prisha says he
means Non-Jews and we learn from them. Then he says "gam yesh lomar d'al
yisrael kaamar".

Several questions - other than R'OY in his pants tshuva does anyone know
of sources in non- monetary cases which specifically mention outer
society as measure?  was the prisha saying either/or?  If it's not from
the outside, how did malbush yisrtael get defined over the years?

KVCT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.