[Avodah] childbirth as a time of sakana

Joseph C. Kaplan jkaplan at tenzerlunin.com
Mon Sep 22 14:42:43 PDT 2008

RDE wrote in response to my post:

 You have made one very serious error in the reading of my post. I posted
 the translation of the view of Rav Moshe Feinstein - not my own. If you
 think that i have mistranslated please show me where."

I apologize; I missed that it was a translation of the Igrot Moshe.  I
shjould have been more careful.  But, to be quite frank, I don't understand
R. Moshe.  So, I repeat my question, with, of course, the deference that is
due R. Moshe:

 Is he saying that ALL women
throughout the generations who died in childbirth (long before the was
 any inducing labor) -- our pious great-grandmothers and their
 great-grandmothers etc. etc.) -- died because they were being punished
 for one of the "three sins for which women die during childbirth"?
 And is he saying that if, God forbid, a woman dies in childbirth today
 (as still happens although, thank God, it is much rarer today than it
 was in previous times), that we can know that she violated one of
 those three sins? If that is what he is saying, does anyone else have
 any problem with this analysis?

Joseph Kaplan