[Avodah] childbirth as a time of sakana

Joseph C. Kaplan jkaplan at tenzerlunin.com
Mon Sep 22 12:47:51 PDT 2008

I'm not sure that I understand RDE.  Is he saying that ALL women throughout the generations who died in childbirth (long before the was any inducing labor) -- our pious great-grandmothers and their great-grandmothers etc. etc.) -- died because they were being punished for one of the "three sins for which women die during childbirth"?  And is he saying that if, God forbid, a woman dies in childbirth today (as still happens although, thank God, it is much rarer today than it was in previous times), that we can know that she violated one of those three sins? If that is what he is saying, does anyone else have any problem with RDE's analysis?  If it's not what he's saying, I apologize for my question.

Joseph Kaplan