[Avodah] strange story

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 12:09:17 PDT 2008

there is a difference between clinically dead and not having a heart.
We all know the various opinions at which point a person is considered
halachically dead and it need not be the same as clinically dead.

The original teshuvot about a lack of a heart concerned a chicken without
a heart and its effect on kashrut. I belivee it was Yaavetz who argued that
you can't have a live chicken without a heart even though it is not on the
list of terefot. Similarly a man without a heart (temporarily) would be
halachically dead. After the operation is he alive again (techiyas hameseim)?

I thought there is a teshuva of the Tzitz Eliezer on the question but
I am abroad
without my seforim

kol tuv

Eli Turkel