[Avodah] The most common Mitzva

Danny Schoemann doniels at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 04:21:33 PDT 2008

The thread about Kaporos and L'Dovid remind me of something that I'm
been contemplating recently.

I start with the premise that everything we are required to do is a
Mitzva; and the Mitzva list is definded as the 613. (Yes, I know there
are various "lists")

For a while I was convinced that most Mitzvos we do are D'Rabonon,
fulfilling the Mitzva of K'chol Asher Yorucho.
- Washing before eating
- Negel Vaser
- Brochos
- Chanuka
- Purim
- Seder Tefilo
- Lulav on Chol Hamo'ed
- Fast days besides for YK
- All Mitzvos Zecher L'midash/Churban
- Krias Shma at Bedtime
- Kippa

Last night I learnt a random page of the 3rd chapter of Sha'arei
Tshuvo with my youngest son and it spoke about Yir'as Hashem which
consists of the S'yog; making fences- Mishmeres L'mishmarti.

Now I'm starting to wonder if many of our daily actions are a
fulfilment of L'Yir'o Es Hashem (hey! even the Torah says "Hashem" :-)
- another thread).

So why should I wear my Kippa?
- As a minhag? K'chol Asher Yorucho?
- As Yir'as Shomayim? <Yarmulke anybody?>

Why do I wash before eating?
- Because it's dRabonon? K'chol Asher Yorucho?
- Because it's a Syog that the Kohanum shouldn't touch Terumah w/o
washing hands? Mishmeres L'mishmarti?

People say L'Dovid and do Tashlich and Kaporos:
- As a reminder to do Tshuva?
- A "new" Drabonon?
- A memory jog/symbolism that took on a life of its own?

For that matter: Is Mishmeres L'mishmarti part of L'Yir'o Es Hashem?

Just wondering... what with Elul, the Tochocho this week and all, it
seems to be the season... so many important things are non-existent in
Halocho, so many Halochos seem to be non-existent in Yiddishkeit..
trying to get a handle on things...

Sort of like knowing what to study for the big test after 120; they
won't ask me what color my tablecloth was, they will ask me if I
awakened before dawn.

Wishing everybody a year full of "real" Mitzvos

- Danny