[Avodah] bat mitzva "bo bayom"

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Mon Sep 15 16:21:53 PDT 2008

From: menucha _menu at inter.net.il_ (mailto:menu at inter.net.il)

>>I am  wondering if there is an inyan to have a seudat bat mitzva
(obviously for  those who hold that a seudat bat mitzva is a seudat
mitzva) on the actual  birthday.<<

As for the claim that this is a "seudas mitzva" I must admit that I can't
see what makes the party a seudas mitzva at all.  I don't think it makes  any
difference whatsoever when you have the party (or when you have a boy's bar
mitzva party either, for that matter).  Something specific happens at a  bris or
at a wedding.  Nothing happens on a boy's 13th or a girl's 12th  birthday --
nothing particular that you do that day.  Leining is optional,  an aliyah is
optional, there's no certain thing you /have/ to do to become  bar mitzva or bas
mitzva as there is something you /have/ to do change your  status from single
to married person.  It's just that from this day  forward, you have to keep
all the mitzvos that you have to keep, every day from  now on and for the rest
of your life.   But you reached that status of  "responsible adult" just by
waking up that day.  The first bracha you made  after waking up on your birthday
-- saying asher yatzar maybe -- calls  for a seudas mitzva?  I just don't see
it.

Please see what I wrote on Cross-Currents about that very issue, expressing
my ambivalence about the very idea of a bas mitzva.  These were my maiden
efforts, literally! -- my first two posts on Cross-Currents.
_http://www.cross-currents.com/archives/2005/01/04/why-is-my-daughter-having-a
-bas-mitzva/_
(http://www.cross-currents.com/archives/2005/01/04/why-is-my-daughter-having-a-bas-mitzva/)

and also
_http://www.cross-currents.com/archives/2005/01/07/correspondence-about-my-daughters-bas-mitzva/_
(http://www.cross-currents.com/archives/2005/01/07/correspondence-about-my-daughters-bas-mitzva/)

In those posts I expressed both the negative and the positive aspects of  the
modern-day bas mitzva celebration.

--Toby  Katz