[Avodah] [Areivim] idf

Michael Kopinsky mkopinsky at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 12:50:51 PDT 2008

Carried over from Areivim.

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 4:47 PM, Eli Turkel <eliturkel at gmail.com> wrote:

> The Jews of first temple days living under Menashe or other kings who
> worship idols were not living in galus.

OTOH, you have the example brought by RMB about Galus Yavan, which was while
we were in EY, and we had the BHMK.

Why was Galus Yavan considered galus and the days of Menashe not?  I would
say that the relevant criterion would be whether we are subject to other
nations' rule, but we still have the problem of towards the end of Bayis
Sheni, when the Babylonians were essentially in power, even while we had the
BHMK. We don't call that period galus, and instead we say that our current
galus began with the Churban.

I would like to see some kind of answer to these seeming contradictions.

KT,
Michael