[Avodah] Y'fas to'ar, etc.

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sun Sep 7 03:41:34 PDT 2008

The following has always bothered me and let me explain why...
(following the text and commentaries)

11. and you see among the captives a beautiful woman and you desire
her, you may take [her] for yourself as a wife.
[and you desire her,] you may take [her] for yourself as a wife. [Not
that you are commanded to take this woman as a wife,] but Scripture
[in permitting this marriage] is speaking only against the evil
inclination [, which drives him to desire her]. For if the Holy One,
blessed is He, would not permit her to him, he would take her
illicitly. [Tanchuma 1]

13. And she shall remove the garment of her captivity from upon
herself, and stay in your house, and weep for her father and her
mother for a full month. After that, you may be intimate with her and
possess her, and she will be a wife for you.
and weep for her father and her mother. Why is all this necessary? So
that an Israelite woman [i.e., this man’s Jewish wife] should be
happy, and this [gentile captive woman] should be grief-stricken, an
Israelite woman should be dressed up, and this one should make herself
repulsive. — [Sifrei 21:11]

The explanation of pasuk 11 that if God did not permit her to him, he
would then take her illicitly, flies in the face of the whole point of
Torah. We are given the yetzer tov and the yetzer ra and are
constantly challenged with overcoming the latter. With the reasoning
given, why not allow adulterous relationships when a man comes across
a beautiful woman. Why not allow eating treif if one is overcome by a
delicious looking steak?  I don't mean to sound facetious, but is
there anyone out there who understands my point?  We have so many
mitzvot that can be rationalized the same way.

The explanation of pasuk 13 seems equally irrational. Firstly, a woman
is taken against her will, and then we're being so thoughtful by
allowing her to cry for her parents a whole month. Then, he can be
intimate with her. The commentary continues to say that the Jewish
woman should be happy?!  Give me a break. This is totally irrational
and both women (the captive and his wife) are objects and are being
used.

I would like to ask the women reading this if they would be happy if
their husbands acted in such a manner?

ri