[Avodah] HaShem as God's Name

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Fri Sep 5 04:17:57 PDT 2008

R' Moshe Gluck wrote: I'm not sure why you think that this is recent
or limited to English
speakers, but Kitzur Shulchan Aruch (6:3) already says to say Hashem.

With all due respect to R' Moshe (who is totally correct), I fully
concur with R' Yonatan Kaganoff regarding its usage. As a child in
50's I NEVER heard HaShem used other than Boruch ata HaShem so as not
to make a b'rocho l'vatala. But when referring to God in conversation,
we always said God. This was in Yeshiva circles, etc. etc.
The fact that the Shulchan Aruch says to say HaShem may be referring
to the context I just indicated but for general usage (even if the
shulchan aruch meant that) in practice, I never heard it. It seems to
have become popular later on.

ri