[Avodah] "Hashem" as God's name

Yonatan Kaganoff ykaganoff at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 4 11:30:35 PDT 2008

I have been looking for some time into the origins of the recent use of "Hashem" as God's name in colloquial speech.

For an example, my two year old says that I am going to shul to daven to "Hashem".  I was told that fifty years ago, an Orthodox Jewish child would say that he davened to "God."

At this point the use of "Hashem" to refer to God is fairly ubiquitous in English speaking Orthodox circles.

Does anyone know when this began?  And when it became the de facto way of referring to God?

Yonatan Kaganoff