[Avodah] Belief or Denial of G-d

Ira Tick itick1986 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 14:23:18 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 6:06 AM, Cantor Wolberg <cantorwolberg at cox.net>wrote:

> Your answer is right on and excellent.
> So now my question to you is:
> Are these people you mentioned (and many others
> whom we have known) going to be punished by God
> for not having had the belief?

Thank you for your response to my post.

I would venture to guess that it is beyond the capacity of human knowledge
to know what happens to anyone in this life or the next directly or solely
because of their actions, attitudes, or beliefs.  But a general idea is
present in Judaic literature:  G-d rewards those who fulfill his
commandments, punishes those who violate them, rewards even the smallest of
noble and compassionate deeds by any human being, and punishes or warns of
the futility of even the smallest indiscretion or discompassion.  If belief
in G-d somehow relates to any form of hatred of the innocent, or
selfishness/self-aggrandizement, or any level of distance, distraction,
indifference, or aggression towards the human spirit or the ideals of love
and reverence of others, then belief in G-d is not only a G-d-given
commandment (for which we might excuse those unaware of a Commander of
commandments) but also an integral part of the nobility and righteousness of
the human soul.  Perhaps some form of "punishment" in the form of suffering
or shame in this world or the next is necessary on the part of such
disfigured souls to right them once again in alignment with attitudes that
allow them to benefit from a more complete attachment to G-d and His
attributes.

Now, it is more than possible that even the most militant atheists have a
fully ethical conscience and live their lives with love and reverence for
others, all without reference to G-d.  Such a person might vicariously find
themselves well acquainted with G-d and all He represents in the next world,
or they may be shocked to know that they have much further to go to commune
with Him.  I don't suspect that anyone knows for sure...

Surely though, some people's hatred of religion and the religious is itself
a major character flaw, becasue they cannot find it in their hearts to
respect the meaning that religion has for billions of people.  I think its
possible but very unlikely, that they really feel deep down in their hearts
that the average religious person is just as guilty as those in Nazi Germany
who got a rise out of listenting to Hitler or Goebbels at Nuremberg, no
matter how much blood has been spilled in the name of religion in the past
or present.

On a personal note, I have drifted many times in my life from a concrete,
straightforward view of religion or Judaism, and I have had to ask myself
constantly about the acceptablility of my attitudes and beliefs in the eyes
of G-d and my own conscience.  Nevertheless, though I have at times been
angrier at G-d than I have ever been with my friends and relatives, I have
never ceased loving G-d in my heart as a companion like no other, who in
every breath of life reminds me that He loves me very much and wants me to
succeed in whatever life and world that there is.  To not have experienced
that kind of relationship--that kind of love and attachment to
someone--strikes me as great enough deficit of life and meaning to warrant
the name "punishment," all by itself.  Perhaps much of what we call
punishment is more the necessary consequences of this life than a meted
reprimand...

Why then does G-d "punish" us by placing us in a life where our victory over
our own misfortune or misdirection is unassured?  I certainly do not know
(no direct answers seem totally sufficient), you'll have to ask G-d Himself
when you get the chance, but I guess I have faith that even grave misfortune
and misdeed have their place in a compassionate plan for the world.  As long
as life has so much to offer for so many of us--and we seem smart enough to
enjoy as much of it as we can--then I will remain with this faith.

Sincerely,

IJT