[Avodah] shkia according to SA

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 14:15:10 PDT 2008

> One famous example is the definition of shekia. SA paskens like Rabbenu Tam
> that it means a second shkia "72 minutes" after sunset.  Most ashkenazim
> and sefardim pasken like the geonim, gra, SAHarav that it is astronomical sunset

The Mechaber changed his mind in Hil' Milah.>>

I would appreciate it if others could look at SA YD 266 8,9

I am on travel without easy access to a SA

I have looked at
http://www.etzahaim.org/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=32
which has a detailed discussion of the gemara, rishonim and poskim of
when shekia occurs.

They bring down the SA both in OH 261 and in YD 266:9 which discuss
shekia and they
assume that in BOTH places SA is paskening like Rabbenu Tam.

Similarly in the various achronim they bring it seems to assume that SA paskens
like RT and the only question is whether our minhag is to override SA
and hold like
the geonim.  The conclusion is that some sefardim hold only like the geonim.
ROY holds basically like the geonim (ie against SA!!) but says one can
be machmir
on motzei shabbat and it is a legitimate minhag

Among the Ashkenazim there are the 2 sefardi minhagim plus a third
that paskens like
SA (RT) both for chumra and for kulah.

None of the sources in this article seem to allow for a contradiction
in SA itself

--
Eli Turkel