[Avodah] kinnot and churban

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 22:38:22 PDT 2008

RET tried asking again this year:
> If one examines both Eicha and the kinnot there is in fact very little
> emphasis on the physical destruction of the bet hamikdash. The emphasis
> in Eicha and followed in the kinnot is on the destruction of the city of
> Jerusalem which is now desolate and more on the loss of life of both the
> general populace and special individuals.

The treatment of other human beings is what caused the churban. In fact,
it was spiritually necherav by our chata'im, and Edom "only" destroyed
the husk.>>

Eichah was for first temple which was destroyed by AZ and Bavel.
Only second temple was destroyed by sinat chinam and Edom.

However, the local raabi basically agreed with Micha that the destruction
of the Temple was only the last straw of a state that no longer deserved
to continue.

Nevertheless we see the importance of the Churban habayit itself by
the attempts to outlaw meat because of the loss of korbanot.
R. Yehoshua only disagrees because there is no end to this logic.
This is also the origin of our minhag not to eat meat in the 9 days
as distinct from personal avelut. Thus avelut yeshana concentrates
on the loss of the Temple and not the killing of the population.

--
Eli Turkel