[Avodah] pasken like SA

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 11:03:47 PDT 2008

But let me digress to a larger issue. Some talmiddi mof mine "heard" that
Ashkenazim ALWAYS follow Rema.  That is simply false.>>

Is it also false that sefardim always pasken like the mechabber. Many have
exceptions based on local minhag.
ROY has attacked the Morrocoans for not always following the Mechaber.
I saw a sefer defending the Morrocoans. There was one chapter that
brought several cases where ROY himself does not pasken like the SA.

One famous example is the definition of shekia. SA paskens like Rabbenu Tam
that it means a second shkia "72 minutes" after sunset.  Most ashkenazim
and sefardim pasken like the geonim, gra, SAHarav that it is astronomical sunset

--
Eli Turkel