[Avodah] Interesting Shailah

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Wed Aug 13 10:59:27 PDT 2008

You shall not (inter)marry with them; you shall not give your daughter
to his son, and you shall not take his daughter for your son. (Dev.7:3)

Since marriage between a Jew and a non Jew has no halachic validity,
it is an oxymoron. How can it say you shall not marry them?
Rambam's answer, I believe, refers to civil marriages which are
recognized as valid by the non Jewish countries, such as the U.S.

However, my question is: Could THAT have been what the Torah had in
mind when it uses the word "marriage" (sischatayn).

[Not that it means much, but Va'eschanan has chassan as three of its
letters].

Kol tuv.

ri