[Avodah] The halakhos of ecology

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Aug 12 07:37:03 PDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 12:19:17AM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
: >But lehalakhah, it includes wasting food rather than saving it for later
: >or sharing with others. Your description doesn't match the din.

: Does it include that?  Makor?

See Shabbot 129a, 140b, Qiddushin 32a -- it's the pointless destruction
of anything in general. See also Hilkhos Melakhim 6:8, Tosafos Qiddishin
32 "Rav Yehudah" is meiqil about breaking things for a chiunch point,
the Chinuch (529) and Semaq (175) are machmir. The Chinukh goes so
far as to say the mitzvah includes not even wasting one seed of mustard
without cause.

I also recall bal tashchis invoked in the discussion of overdoing
tachrichim and aronos, but I can't find it right now.

Micha Berger             Nothing so soothes our vanity as a display of
micha at aishdas.org        greater vanity in others; it makes us vain,
http://www.aishdas.org   in fact, of our modesty.
Fax: (270) 514-1507              -Louis Kronenberger, writer (1904-1980)