[Avodah] The halakhos of ecology

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Aug 11 21:19:17 PDT 2008

Micha Berger wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 06:41:33PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> : >Think of is misvara: You're defining bal tashchis in a way such that
> : >by definition no one would want to do it.
>
> : Pretty much.  I think it's an issur that exists more in the theoretical
> : realm than the practical.  That's why, to find a practical application,
> : the Torah had to give us the case of the soldier.
>
> But lehalakhah, it includes wasting food rather than saving it for later
> or sharing with others. Your description doesn't match the din.

Does it include that?  Makor?

Then one must ask why one is throwing the food out.  If it really is
suitable for storing for later, any normal person will do that.
Generally one throws food out if it will not be good by the time one
might next want to eat it, or if one has nowhere suitable to store it
until then.

And if there is someone who will accept it, again any normal person will
give it to them before throwing it out; however the cost and effort of
finding such takers, and transporting it to them, is often worth more
than the food itself, and therefore it makes sense to throw it out.

In what case do you assert that a normal person throws food out, and
yet the halacha says he shouldn't?

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.