[Avodah] 3 weeks and avelut

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 18:07:24 PDT 2008

I previously quoted RYBS as equating various parts of the 3 weeks
with portions of the avelut
For more details see
http://www.vbm-torah.org/3weeks/av64-rjbs.htm

SBA asked what about eating meat?

RYBS in the above article points to many differences between
avelut and the 9 days. Thus the halachot are similar but not
identical.
To explain the differences he introduces the gemara term of
avelut chadash and avelut yeshana (historical mourning)

Mourning for a relative is based on deep personal feeling of
loss and despair. Ir begins as an onen where the person
is overwhelmed with his loss. Over the period of shiva, shloshim
and the year it comes to terms with his loss.
Historical mourning is something we have to cultivate and so it
begins with the easy and only gradually comes to the depth of
our mourning.
RYBS uses these two ideas to explain differences is laws of
laundry and other differences.

Similarly not eating meat is related to the loss of korbanot.
It has no place in a personal mourning.

In summary the 3 weeks and shloshim  etc. have many
similarities and are based on similar principles but are
not identical

--
Eli Turkel