[Avodah] kenignaot

Simon Krysl skrysl at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 01:49:04 PDT 2008

Dear all,
I am writing in the hope for a possible insight on perhaps a technical - but
to me no less perplexing - question. The Kitzur Shulkhan Arukh (126.4),
based on Magen Avraham 224.3, prohibits attending "animal shows" presented
by goyim, as well as dances and other joyful occasions, as moshavei leicim.
R. Avrohom Davis translates "kenignaot" as "animal shows" which, I assume,
would concern circuses and similar, yet an explanatory note ( in the text of
the Kitzur itself?) in the Hebrew explicates kenignaot as "ceid hayot", that
is, hunts. (I do not find any etymology or explanation of the word
"kenignaot" elsewhere.) That seems to be a difference: can anyone help
understanding it? Is it because we understand, hunting as halachically
problematic (while not prohibited) for different reasons?
Many, many thanks for any thoughts.
Sincerely
Simon Krysl