[Avodah] Can you build a community around Halakhic Man? - Tangent

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 21:02:53 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> 2- Learning the product of someone else's creativity isn't the same as
> being creative.
> Tir'u baTov!
> -Micha

Ein hachi nami.
Tangent:
One can make an argument that learning somone else's gmara [ie. the Bavli]
is not being mekayem learning Talmud either.  Read on....

Permit me to explain, aisi, learning Dar yomi beki'us style is probably a
function of learning TSBP [iow Mishnah] but NOT Gmara, becuase one is really
following the G'mara and not analyzing davar mitoch davar oneself.

I think this explains RYBS's opposition to Bek'ius. He felt it was not
really learning. As I explain i,t is not mekayyem learning *"Gmara"* in the
generic sense [of the Rambam]. However, I think that learning Mishna in
gneral, and learning Gmara bek'ius style is still a wrothwhile endeavor, So
here I part company with RYBS.

OTOH if there is one thing that RYBS taught me is that you can analyze ANY
text.  RYBS could analyze Kinnos and make a real Talmudic dialectic on 9 Av
using the texts of Kallir. And he certainly could do the same with Humash
and Rashi, etc.  So applyingTalmudic learning is shayach with virtually ANY
text.

E.G. AIUI, the Rav would analyze the Shulchan Aruch a lot like the Gmara
would analyze the Mishna, etc. [Just as The BY himself did for the Tur.]

So the irony is,

   1. You could take a Mishna, analyze it in depth with peirushim,Tsoefta,
   svara, etc. and be mekaayyem Talmud,
   and
   2. you could breeze through the Talmud and in effect be mekayyem learning
   Mishnah

So it is not so much  the text you learn, it is HOW your learn that text
that effects the Kiyyum.

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com