[Avodah] Halachic Texts: More Background

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 20:17:30 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 4:49 PM, <T613K at aol.com> wrote:

> Without getting into whether this would work halachically, I would like to
> point out that if you are working on the assumption that human nature has
> changed, I believe that assumption is incorrect.  For financial and social
> reasons, women find it easier to bail out of a bad marriage than they used
> to, but you still find that a majority of women would rather remain in an
> unhappy marriage, or stay with an abusive boyfriend, rather than be alone.
> You see this every day, among both Jewish and non-Jewish women.  *
> *
> *--Toby Katz
> =============*

I'm not taking sides - accept to be open-minded to the possiblity of change.
And I'm not saying R. Rackman has the facts. I am just saying he COULD
construe the facts as having changed.

Or he could say that any woman protesting her fate vociferously is part of a
minority that prefers isolation to suffering an abusive relationship.

Let's face it, we are not truly operating in the USA under the old Torah
system. Kesubbos [afaik] * are not enforced and we rely upon dina
demalchusa, etc.

* in Toronto I was a witness [for the BD] to several gittin and in every
case the kessuba was torn up and not even used.

The point is taht RYBS said that tav lemseisav is an aboslute. WADR, I
disagree.

The gmara talks about in the earlier generations "Yibbumists" were sincere
but they aren't anymore. So we see that human motives are subject to change
etc. EVEN within fundamental Talmudic law.

OTOH, I would agree that one is not REQUIRED to buy into R. Rackman's
shita.  But I think it is arguably as eilu v'eilu as anyone else.

There is a real problem. This is doucmented by Aaron Beck, PhD as "Emotional
Reasoning" viz. "because we THINK it is true, there it IS true" That is an
unhealthy view of reality [what he terms a dsfunctional thought] and can
actiually be shown to be the root cause of a good deal of apthology.  Just
because in someone's humble opnion X is true is not a rational reason to
IMPOSE that logic on others.
And many people do -  but more by force of personality than by rational
persuasion.

Tanur Achinai teachs us a good lesson in lo saguru. Don't ever be
intimidated by force of charisma, etc.never mind the force of "magic".

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com