[Avodah] Halachic Texts: More Background

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sun Jul 27 13:49:39 PDT 2008

From: "Richard Wolpoe" _rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com_
(mailto:rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com)

>>  He says the conclusion is paramount - be matir Agunos. There are  many
statements saying how this is important.
then he takes a text that  says "Kol demekaeish ada'ata derabban medkadeisih'
then he says biyameinu, we  see that woman do NOT tolerate abuse as they did
in the time of Shas and so  tav lemisav does not outweigh a woman's need for
dignity. Presto.  You  have mikach ta'us because what woman would have
KNOWINGLY entered an  arrangement that would have let her be abused

Lemashal:

Had I know  that I would be abused I would not make that neder
Similarly:
Had I know  that this husband was a sociopath I would not have  accepted
kiddushin.
Presto! afkin'u based upon mikach ta'us  <<

Without getting into whether this would work  halachically, I would like to
point out that if you are working on the  assumption that human nature has
changed, I believe that assumption is  incorrect.  For financial and social
reasons, women find it easier to bail  out of a bad marriage than they used to, but
you still find that a majority of  women would rather remain in an unhappy
marriage, or stay with an abusive  boyfriend, rather than be alone.   You see
this every day, among both  Jewish and non-Jewish women.

--Toby  Katz

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.