[Avodah] money and halakhah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jul 23 03:20:52 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 07:28:19PM -0400, Yitzhak Grossman wrote:
: All citations are from my notes; I have not verified most of them.

The AhS, for example, had to be speaking of metal-backed currency, not
fiat currency. I don't know everyone you quote, but we could eliminate
the majority of the list.

A shetar which says "the owner has a sheqel of silver sitting in Fort
Knox" is more like giving the actual sheqel of silver (to speak of kesef
in the literal sense, but gold would be no different) than giving a
piece of paper that had value because people decided you can exchange
it for value.

Micha Berger             Man is equipped with such far-reaching vision,
micha at aishdas.org        yet the smallest coin can obstruct his view.
http://www.aishdas.org                         - Rav Yisrael Salanter
Fax: (270) 514-1507