[Avodah] the Shoah [was: TIDE and Austritt]

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Jul 15 08:29:51 PDT 2008

From: "Richard Wolpoe" <rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com>
>>See  The Siyyum of Sota in which 2 rabbis in the same city who do NOT learn
from  each other [nocheh to learn] one dies and one is exiled. This sounds a
LOT  like the reality of the holocaust, that rabbis who refused to talk
were  either killed or exiled from their homes. How prescient of the Talmud
to  see that Rabbis who cannot get  along.....<<

I've heard some pretty far-fetched explanations of what caused the Shoah,
but this is a new one on me.  Whenever anyone even hints that such and such  a
sin was the "reason" for the Holocaust or that the actions of such and such a
group (Reform, maskilim, Zionists, anti-Zionists) "led to" the Holocaust, or
that a particular group somehow "deserved" to die or brought their fate on
themselves, there are always cries of outraged indignation.  Let me be the
first to express outraged indignation on this occasion.  It is outrageous  to
suggest that the principles of austritt ("rabbis who refused to talk to  each
other") somehow led to or triggered the Holocaust or were foreseen by the  Talmud
as the reason for chachamim being "either killed or exiled" in the  Shoah.

--Toby  Katz