[Avodah] Halachic Texts: More Background

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jul 10 13:19:15 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 12:02:04AM -0400, Richard Wolpoe wrote:
: The raya brura for this is that one of our earliest post Talmudic sources -
: the BEHAG - claims that the Sder should have 2 matzso except Friday night.
: This is a very strong indication that in his day:
:    1. There was no ISSUR of having 3 matzos re: lechem oni
:    2. There was not NEED to have lechem Mishna on YT
:    3. There WAS a need to have lechem Mishna on Shabbos

: Tosafos/Rosh take it for a davar pashut that lechem mishna is need on YT,
: too - hence the 3 matzos.

: Gra Attacks Rosh as not reading the Gmara properly, but it is clear that the
: sugya was not aliba dehilchesa [for the Rosh on this point]. Either the Rosh
: held:

:    1. Once the Ga'onim required lechem mishan the sugya had to be
:    retrofitted to match noramtive Halacha AS PRACTICED  OR
:    2. The Rosh [and others} might have realized that the Talmud never
:    EXPLICITLY required lechem Mishan on YT, but it was always assumed to be
:    there -  albeit IMPLICITLY. This Sugya must have not held it to be
:    noramtive, and Behag would have concurred.  But the sense of Shab as awhole
:    might have beeen otherwise

I want to draw attention to the words RRW capitalized in possibility #1.

There are two kinds of precedent: mimetic and textual. IOW,
    1- the weight of halakhah as it has been practiced by centuries vs
    2- the weight of halakhah as sefarim have described it for centuries.
The latter would usually / always? intersect with a third issue:
    3- an informal azlinan basar ruba -- the long history of pesaq
    means that a poseiq-counter is bound to find that the majority hold
    that way.

(In previous posts I tried to use the term "minhag avos" for mimetic
precedent, since I hate the academic sound of the polysyllabic English.
But since that caused confusion that I meant actual minhagim, English
it is.)

When dealing with the question of throwbacks, we need to speak of all 3.

1- The Gra only violated mimetic precedent when he believed it to
be provably wrong. I earlier stated "wrong" on the halachic level, ie
assur, but as my examples showed, it also included other kinds of wrong.
Such as the paradox of pasqening on lekhem mishneh at the seider such
that the concept of lekhem oni means MORE loaves than a Shabbos meal.

It would seem he holds that mimetic precedent really only has enough
weight to stick with existing practice even if the practice seems valid,
but weaker than the one you would otherwise choose.

2- If it's possible for someone to be assessed at being at a rishon's
level, then the textual precedent issue is null. Moreso, it's entirely
reversed -- he would be like a later rishon, and halakhah kebasrai.

3- There isn't really a rule of rov poseqim when no one enters the room
for nimnu vegameru. Some poseqim chose to follow one, such as whatever
weight the SA gave his triumverate of codifiers. But one can't say that
every poseiq must give the concept all that much consideration.