[Avodah] Beware: Glatt May Not Always Mean Kosher

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jul 9 20:14:35 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 01:56:40PM -0400, Prof. Levine wrote:
:> In Israel, the lungs of the chickens are checked due to the prevalence
:> of Newcastle Disease. Indeed, there are two types of chicken that
:> are sold in Israel -- Mehadrin and non-Mehadrin. Mehadrin chickens, whose
:> lungs are checked, are considered glatt...
: My understanding is that saying an animal is Glatt kosher means that its
: lungs where found to be entirely free of all adhesions...

Glatt chicken? There is no problem of sirchos in an owf. Why is anyone
worrying about checked lungs? I AM SO confused!