[Avodah] Beware: Glatt May Not Always Mean Kosher

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Wed Jul 9 10:56:40 PDT 2008

At the request of a moderator I am transferring this discussion to Avodah.

At 09:47 AM 7/9/2008, Aryeh Stein wrote on Areivim:
>While, according to the Star-K, every chicken in the United States
>must be glatt in order to be considered kosher, this does not hold
>true in Israel:

> checked due to the prevalence of Newcastle
> Disease.  Indeed, there are two types of
> chicken that are sold in Israel ­ Mehadrin and
> non-Mehadrin.  Mehadrin chickens, whose lungs
> are checked, are considered glatt while the
> non-Mehadrin chickens would only be considered regular non-glatt.>>>
>
>(from the same URL posted above)
>
>Just wanted to clarify this....
>
>KT,
>Aryeh

I replied on Areivim,

For information on what Newcastle Disease is, see
http://tinyurl.com/6enk2y and
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/oct99/front1099.htm

After thinking about this a bit, I then sent the
following to Areivim, which is now redirected to Avodah.

At  http://tinyurl.com/6enk2y  it says

What are the symptoms?
The severity of the clinical signs is influenced
by the strain of virus and the age, condition and
species of the bird. Clinical signs in poultry
range from a mild, almost inapparent respiratory
disease to a very severe depression, drop in egg
production, increased respiration, profuse
diarrhea followed by collapse, or long-term
nervous signs (such as twisted necks) if the
birds survive. Death rate can be up to 100 per
cent in severe forms of the disease. The
incubation period is usually 5–6 days, but can vary from 2–15 days.

These is absolutely no mention of the lungs of
the bird on this web site. My understanding is
that saying an animal is Glatt kosher means that
its lungs where found to be entirely free of all
adhesions. ("For Ashkenazim, there is a tradition
that a small, easily removable adhesion is
defined as a lower class of adhesion, known as
rir, and that the presence of up to two such
small, easily removable adhesions still qualifies
the animal as glatt according to Ashkenazic
tradition."  http://www.kashrut.com/articles/glatt/ )

Thus, I fail to understand the statement on the
Star-K web site, "Mehadrin chickens, whose lungs
are checked, are considered glatt while the
non-Mehadrin chickens would only be considered
regular non-glatt." Israeli chickens whose lungs
were checked may be called Mehadrin, but why call
them Glatt?  Is this yet another misuse of the word Glatt?

I admit up front that I know virtually nothing
about the lungs of either animals or fowl.

Yitzchok Levine