[Avodah] Halachic Texts: More Background

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jul 7 11:03:29 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 12:07:46AM -0400, Richard Wolpoe wrote:
:> Give me a rigorous definition of "new enough" that allows for ther Rambam
:> and not the Gra.

: I already did!. Shulchan Aruch Choshen Mishpat 25 wherein the mechabeir
: insisted that to'eh bidvar mishneh included posqim...

But that does NOT exclude the Gra. The Gra, each and every time he rules
against minhag, has a reason to say that the minhag was based on a ta'us
bidevar mishnah. He didn't overturn accepted pesaq just because he had a
batter sevara, it was only when he felt that the accepted pesaq was wrong.

E.g.
- Making baqashos after benching (the "harachaman"s) on Shabbos
- Having MORE portions instead of fewer for the sake of lechem oni (an
  oxymoron, no? particularly since mishneh lechem on YT is itself iffy)
- Adding a proof from Zecharia at the end of a Aleinu, attributed to
  Yehoshua bin Nun (implies a rejection of that mesorah)

: Also see Heramann Stracks' quote that the "MAIN TASK" for posqim today is to
: read the codes and trace them back to the Talmud.  IOW, the Talmud isnow
: jsut  background for the p'saq, not the foreground.  I posit this morphed
: from the early Rishonim to the end of Rishonim and I can actually quote you
: sources to this effect.

One could attribute this to today's poseiq not being a throwback. Thus,
he has neither lesser wisdom nor precedent to confine him.

:> The Gra argued that he only changed pesaqim that were against halakhah
:> (as he understood it) in favor of those that are not.

: Guess what? so does every body else. I argue that bachurim not wearing a
: Tallis Gadol  is against p'saq, and the Darchei Moshe, Ba'er Heitev, and the
: Mishna Brura concur. As well as all Sepharadim and all yekkes.  It is
: interesting that the Ga overtunred many Ashkenazic models in favor of
: Sephardic alternatives but never pushed for Tallis Gadol - at least AFAIK

If it were assur to daven without a tallis gadol, then it would fit
the Gra's model to overturn Ashkenazi norm. It's not against halakhah
because tallis is a reshus. Same argument we had WRT tefillin on ch"m.
There is no actual issur against missing a day of tefillin. Both are
"merely" mechzei kemeshaqeir.

:> and probably a product of the collapse of the ghetto's culture
:> during his times.

: Nah.  Gra dies 1797, Napoleon invades Russian Emptire in  1812 The ghettoes
: only BEGAN collapsing 15 years after Gra's passing.

: Gra knew his pesakkim were private.  He never even tried to popularize
: them.  Those who reached back to the GRA to create a new Halachic norm
: really wer quite radical to abandon Minhag Avos.

These two paragraphs largely cancel. By shifting "blame" of making the
Gra's rulings common practice to his students, you move the time that
this happened to after the fall of the ghetto. But I didn't mean it
literally. Chassidus started because the old mores just weren't enough
to hold people in anymore. The ghetto was porous enough that simply
relying on norm wasn't working.

: Let's face it, If any one else said about Halachah what the Gra said.[ you
: fill in the blanks]

That's not the question. The question is whether what the Gra said still
within the eilu va'eilu of halakhah.