[Avodah] Zekhiras Yetzi'as Mitzrayim in Yemos haMashiach

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Jul 3 09:53:52 PDT 2008

Micha Berger wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 10:57:05AM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> : No, we do not!  Yachid verabim halacha kerabim, and I'm not aware of
> : anything to indicate that this is an exception.  *Nobody* disputes that
> : we say yetziat mitzrayim at night; there's no svara at all *not* to say
> : it.  The mishna gives it as an undisputed statement.  The machloket
> : between Ben Zoma and the Chachamim is only about yemot hamashiach, and
> : we follow the majority, that we *will* say it.
>
> Are you sure that "*nobody*" disputes it?

The mishna presents it as an undisputed statement; if you think there's
some machlokes about it, it's up to you to name the person who disputes
it.

> The sugya is on Berakhos 12b.
> It opens with R' Yehudah bar Chavivi explaining why there is a derabbanan
> to say Parashas Tzitzis as the third paragraph of Shema. After some
> discussion of his statement, R' Elazar ben Azaryah raises his uncertainty
> about applying this derabbanan at night.

No.  The mishna is not a continuation of the previous gemara!  REbA
was a tanna, RYbCh was an amora.  REbA's question does not follow or
arise in any sense from RYbCh's memra.

> Shema must be said at night --
> "beshokhbekha uvkumekha", cited in the mishnah without a machloqes. But
> where do you see the third parashah being necessary at night?

For the same reasons that it's necessary by day.  None of the ones
RYbCh suggests are peculiar to the day time.

> In fact,
> given the choice of parashah, primarily about a mitzvah not obligatory
> at night, ben Zoma's conclusion is far from obvious.

REbA is the only one who expresses any doubt, and that doubt is not
about whether one must say it at night, but about why.  So he relies
on Ben Zoma's drasha, even though it's disputed by the rov.

> As for rov... Ben Zoma holds he is following a stam braisa (there was
> no mishnah yet), which would give him a rabbim as well.

What braisa?  It seems to be Ben Zoma's own drasha, that REbA liked.
But we generally follow the rov, and I'm not aware of any reason why
this should be an exception.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.