[Avodah] Love of the Imahos [was: Your brother's a Mumar; here's the solution!]

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Jul 1 06:35:21 PDT 2008

From: Yitzhak Grossman _celejar at gmail.com_ (mailto:celejar at gmail.com)

>>But note  that none of the Imahos are described as loving their  husbands.<<

Hello?   Leah?!

The poignancy of that whole situation has often struck me.  Leah and  Rochel
each had what the other most desperately longed for.  And both were  left with
thwarted longings that were never quite fulfilled.

All her life Leah longed for her husband's love -- every one of her sons  was
named with reference to this longing!  And when Rochel died -- Yakov  /still/
didn't make Leah's tent his primary abode, but instead put his bed in
Bilhah's tent.  Leah's pain over this situation must have been  palpable -- it
induced her son Reuven to interfere on his mother's behalf  and try to get his
father, finally, to make Leah his primary wife -- but  Reuven's plans backfired.

(I have a theory as to why Yakov moved in with Bilhah -- Bilhah  was Rochel's
shifcha so she must have been the one who was raising Rochel's  orphaned
children.  Those children, the last living link to the  beloved Rochel, must have
been living in Bilhah's tent.  My  guess.)

As for Rochel, she longed for children but did not live to raise  them.  She
never even had a chance to hold Binyamin, and probably never  even saw him.

When you think about the whole "dudaim" story it's all there -- the whole
heartbreak, the pain on both sides.

Rochel:  "Your little boy brought you flowers?  Please, I have  no little
boy, could I please just have those flowers?"

Leah:  "What do I care about the flowers?  My husband doesn't  love me, he
loves you, but please, could I just have this one night with  him?"

Yes, I know that Yakov did love Leah too, but relatively, she felt  unloved.
Rochel was always his true zivug and his true wife, which he  mentioned even
on his deathbed, so many years after Rochel's death.

--Toby Katz

President Reagan talked with the Soviets while pushing ahead  with the
deployment of Cruise and Pershing missiles in Europe. He spoke softly —  after
getting himself a bigger stick.  --Mark Steyn