[Avodah] marijuana

JoshHoff at aol.com JoshHoff at aol.com
Mon Aug 18 09:17:04 PDT 2008

In a message dated 8/18/2008 11:37:01 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
avodah-request at lists.aishdas.org writes:

co-worker who asked if Halacha forbids smoking  marijuana?

We used to joke that you make a tefilas haderech on it. A certain
Conservative rabbi used to tell students to use marijuana in order to fulfill  the
mitzvah of visualizing oneself as having left Mitzrayim. There was an  article in
Jewish Life in the early 1970s in which several rabbanim gave their  opinions
on whether there is an issur to take mind-expanding  drugs( the answer was
yes-just a question of what issur). . IIRC, Rav  Ahron Soloveichik,who was one of
these people ( R.I.Jacobovitz was  another),included marijuana in whatever
issurim he mentioned. He wrote about it  at greater length in an article in
Tradition around that time ( 1973 I think),  entitled something like Drug Curture
Vs. Torah Tznius.You can probably access  his article online.

Read reviews on AOL Autos.