[Avodah] korbonos by mincha gedoyle

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Jun 21 16:09:29 PDT 2007

A & C Walters wrote:

> I was thinking today. Mincha Gedoyle is (in J’lem) exactly 1:15pm. If
> the minyan starts at exactly this time, when could a person say
> korbonos. Since the amiras korbonos are bemokom the bringing thereof,
> presumably it would have to be said at a time where they could be
> brought. Since we cannot bring korbonos before mincha gedoyle, is there
> any inyan at all to say the parshios of korbonos before this time (ie at
> 1:10pm). Obviously, there is a mitsveh of TT, and this is no worse than
> any other pesukim/mishnayos, but is it better? What about the yehi
> rotsons? Any eitsehs (maybe to say after SE, but I’ve never seen this)

The requirement to wait half an hour after noon before bringing the
korban tamid is just a precaution, at a time when they didn't have
clocks, to be sure that it really is after noon and not before.  Once
the sun's shadow has noticeably lengthened, we know that it's definitely
"bein ha'arbayim", and it's OK to bring the korban.  It just happens
that that process normally takes half an hour.  So if you did bring the
korban within that half-hour, but you had an accurate clock and know
that it was after noon, you didn't really do anything wrong, and there's
no need to bring it again.  Therefore, for the purpose of the minhag to
say korbanot, one can definitely do it in that half-hour.  And if one
happened to make a mistake and said it before noon "iz oich nisht
gefehrlach".

In the 3rd BHMK, when there will be accurate clocks, lav davka that
they will wait the full half-hour, especially on an Erev Pesach that
falls on Erev Shabbos.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.