[Avodah] birchot kriat shma for sefardi women

Yaakov Moser ymoser at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 22:30:12 PDT 2007

> On Fri, June 8, 2007 6:36 am, R Eli Turkel wrote:
> : Again I would be interested if most sefardi women really skip this
> : whole section of schararit (or maaariv for that matter) and what
> sefardi
> : schools for women do.
>
> A neighbor of mine had his son and daughter-in-law visiting, and they
> are real "chassidim" of ROY's. She owns a "women's siddur" that claims
> to be leshitato which contains birkhot Shema for Shacharit without
> shem umalkhut.
>
> Tir'u baTov!
> -mi

I can confirm that Yalkut Yosef (in the volume "Dinim for women", p.
30), reflecting his father's psak, rules that if a woman desires to do
so, she can say Pesukei Dezimra with no shem umalkhut in Baruch She'amar
or Yistabach, and Birkhot kriat shema with no shem umalchut in any of
the brachot.

Jason Moser