[Avodah] Figs

D&E-H Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Fri Jun 8 06:58:47 PDT 2007

Re RnCL's <<I never heard tell of taking one's fruit and
vegetables to
the bodek of the town with the good eyesight.  Or can a
household where
the wife is myopic be permitted larger bugs than those where
her
eyesight is better?  Can we assume that 20/20 is the norm or
exceptionally good? ...>>

Sorry Chana, you got the story reversed.

Hyperopia, a.k.a. as far-sighted, makes it difficult to see
things close to the eyes. Myopia, near-sighted, makes it
difficult to see things far away.  The near-sighted person
holds the object close to his eye which is the equivalent of
using a magnifying glass.  So the myopic person would see
smaller bugs not identified by the far-sighted.   the
far-sighted have to hold things further away in order to
focus and so cannot identify small objects.  After age 45 or
so, if one doesn't get reading glasses we need longer and
longer arms and so would be allowed larger and larger bugs.

BTW, I remember reading that the dead bug in figs is not
completely disintegrated and can be seen but, except to the
myopic or the knowledgeable person, would appear to be a
black spot.

Shabbat Shalom,

David