[Avodah] animal that ingested poison

Dr. Josh Backon backon at vms.huji.ac.il
Thu Jun 7 03:28:30 PDT 2007

At 10:22 AM 6/7/2007, Arie Folger wrote:
>RDr. Josh Backon wrote:
> > It isn't a treifa but it's still prohibited on account of sakana
> > (Yoreh Deah 60:2).
>
>First of all, that is irrelevant. I was trying to show how there are animals
>we know of that they won't survive for long, and yet, they are not tereifot.

There are actually 3 time periods regarding treifot: treifot that *could* have
occurred a few seconds or minutes before shechita (e.g. nikuv krum ha'moach)
and thus the product (e.g. eggs in a chicken or cheese from a cow) is permitted
as it has a chezkat kashrut; treifot that need 3 full days (72 hours) to appear
(in this situation only those products made from the animal during the 72 hours
priort to shechita are assur, items taken before this 72 hour period
are muttar;
and finally treifot like "chaser", "chalif", etc. which have the 12
month period (all
food items taken during this period are assur).

>Furthermore, prohibiting a poisoned animal on account of skanah allows for
>the possibility that if we know the poison to be harmful to a certain animal
>but not to people, to permit the animal anyway in a particular case. I didn't
>check the teshuvot literature on this point, but it makes some sense.

That indeed is the halacha (YD 60:1) [if the animal ingests a poison that is
dangerous ONLY to the animal, then the meat is unconditionally permitted].

KT

Josh