[Avodah] animal that ingested poison

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Thu Jun 7 00:22:58 PDT 2007

RDr. Josh Backon wrote:
> It isn't a treifa but it's still prohibited on account of sakana
> (Yoreh Deah 60:2).

First of all, that is irrelevant. I was trying to show how there are animals
we know of that they won't survive for long, and yet, they are not tereifot.
Furthermore, prohibiting a poisoned animal on account of skanah allows for
the possibility that if we know the poison to be harmful to a certain animal
but not to people, to permit the animal anyway in a particular case. I didn't
check the teshuvot literature on this point, but it makes some sense.
--
Arie Folger
http://www.ariefolger.googlepages.com