[Avodah] yishuv EY

saul mashbaum smash52 at netvision.net.il
Mon Jun 4 12:13:53 PDT 2007

RMBerger wrote
>>Time differs from space in that you have more volition over your motion in space than in time.

Not strictly on topic, but a nice drasha on this subject, is the following, which I heard many years ago from Rav Fabian Schonfeld:

It is well known that machshevet chutz lizmano by korbanot is much more stringent than  machshevet chutz limkomo. It's not obvious why this should be.
There are those who claim that for various reasons they find it difficult to fully observe the mitzvot in the community in which they find themselves, particularly if it is a community with very few religious people "Being religious is fine for New York, but unfeasible here in Broken Knee, Arkansas" they would say. The mitzvot are chutz limkomo.
OTOH, some people say that being religious was fine for their grandparents, many years ago, but is irrelevant nowadays. The mitzvot are chutz lizmano.
The latter position is obviously far more  negative than the former.
Saul Mashbaum