[Avodah] Yishuv EY

SBA sba at sba2.com
Tue Jun 5 06:55:53 PDT 2007

From: "Dov Kay" <>
implication drawn by some is that one who is sinful, ie everyone,

Everyone is a baal aveireh? Can you compare a choteh umachteh/mumar
lehachis etc to an average JoeBlow who may be over some issur - beshogeg  or
even bemezid - but then 3 times daily begs for forgiveness - Selach Lanu??

>>>The counter-argument raised by others has been that if yishuv
EY is a mitzva, what justification is there to refrain from it?

Simple. Because for a  baal aveireh - it is no mitzva.
Making kiddush is a mitzva. But not if you use yayin nesech.

One cannot be mekayem mitzvas shofar or lulav with varieties
 that Chazal say are not kosher.

>>As a point of comparison, I was thinking of Gerus.  Jews have more mitzvos
than non-Jews, with the consequence that the stakes are higher and we are
more liable to punishment.  However, ..we welcome genuine gerim..

Correct. You said it: "genuine gerim". And so too EY welcomes 'genuine
Yidden'.

BTW, have you noticed how many non-genuine 'gerim' have been imported to
Israel in the past years by the 'non-genuine Yidden'?

And before the ususal galaxy of defenders/melamdei zechus of kofrim
(zionist ones only - of course) jump on me, let me clarify that by genuine
Yid,
I am not disputing any 'halachic' Jew's status as being 100% halachically
Jewish,   but rather the fact that their day-to-day lifestyle is far from
what the Torah expects..

>>Entry into the palace of the King should certainly not be undertaken
without the requisite awe but, for all that, who would not want choose a
palace over a slum?

We weren't talking about 'want' but rather what is the view of the rishonim
and achronim.

SBA