[Avodah] Torah Study vs. other contributions to society

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Mon Jun 4 11:14:40 PDT 2007

 In fact, we can even compare and contrast a Yisakhar-Zevulun
relationship with the loss the extra need for funds implies in one's own
time available for one's own learning.

I've asked this question on a number of occasions (shouldn't a yeshiva
tell major philanthropists they should be doing more learning lshitat
those who say learning is 1st personal responsibility and anyone who can
should be learning full time). The general response I've gotten are yes,
in theory they should reduce the time they spend earning a living  but
they won't do it anyway.  I've yet to hear 1st person testimony that a
rosh yeshiva has said this to a major philanthropist (not said
cynically, I've wondered about this for a long time on a personal basis
as well and have asked a number of folks)

KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.