[Avodah] Torah Study vs. other contributions to society

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Mon Jun 4 05:40:21 PDT 2007

Dear Ovedim,

While I have followed the thread on "Torah Study vs. other contributions to
society" with great interest, I have refrained from posting in this matter. I
just care to make a little comment and go back to lurking:

As posters on this thread have shown, there are multiple angles from which to
analyze this matter, we may consider what to do besh'at hatzorekh, as well as
whether one should lekhat'hillah interrupt his learning, assuming that he is
learning full time, indeed.

One particular angle that I didn't see enter the discussion, and which is in
fact relevant, is that we ought to distinguish between one who has unlimited
resources available, and one who, like most of us, will one day need to fend
for his family. In fact, we only discussed the first case and didn't even ask
where the resources come from (a functioning, almost self managing business,
inheritance, retirement savings, rich parents and/or in laws, the government,
having a meshulla'h going begging, begging personally, ...).

It might be interesting to explore whether the mere fact that, all else being
provoded for, sitting and learning is preferable for the sitzfleisch-enabled,
whether that implies that supporting such a person takes precedence over
supporting, say, an oncology department at Laniado, Sha'arei Tzedek, etc. Or,
perhaps the preference does not extend to having a priority claim on funding,
as the mitzvah is to learn, not necessarily to pay someone to learn. I do not
mean to imply that we should question the praiseworthiness of
Yisakhar-Zevulun relationships, but rather to question whether such
relationships are obligatory for the philantropist, whether they take
precedence over other community needs, or not. In fact, we can even compare
and contrast a Yisakhar-Zevulun relationship with the loss the extra need for
funds implies in one's own time available for one's own learning.

Having made my remark and asked my questions, I shall watch with great
interest what our illustrious Ovedim will argue.

Kol tuv,
--
Arie Folger
http://www.ariefolger.googlepages.com