[Avodah] shemitta

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Tue May 29 10:54:26 PDT 2007

On Mon, 28 May 2007 23:39:31 -0600 SBA <sba at sba2.com> wrote:
>It is no question that RCC would ban current baalei aveireh
>from making aliya.

If we take this approach the whole discussion will come down to
whether frum yidden should support groups which encourage non-frum
people to make aliyah.  As far as those who do it on their own,
they're not asking our opinions.  And I hope we can all agree that
DL/RZ olim are not "baalei aveireh."

Leaving shmitta aside: would RCC matir aliyah for most members of
this list, do you think?

>How do you think he would have ruled for those who asked about
>making aliyah - but plan to rely on the Hetter Mechirah?

First you're assuming that he would posken against the HM.  Even
accepting this assumption, do you have a source to say that he
would call someone a "ba'al aveirah" if they follow a Rav that
holds of the HM?

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu