[Avodah] kashrus of milk

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon May 21 15:26:46 PDT 2007

Elliott Shevin wrote:
> I've been called on the cynicism of my post, and must apologize for
> shooting from the hip. My reaction stems from the fact that AFAIK, cows
> here in the U.S. used for cholov Yisrael and other milk are one and the
> same.

They are not.

> The original post raises several questions for me.
> Does the pronouncement apply only to Israel, or is it global?

On the contrary, EY would be the last place I'd expect it to apply.
Isn't almost all milk in EY CY?  Or is it all milked by Thais now,
with no supervision?  And in other places there isn't enough CY
production to justify separate herds.  So it's only in the USA that
one can speak of a difference between CY and non-CY WRT treifot.

> Are the veterinary practices referred to occur in EY only, or are they
> common worldwide?

It is common in the USA.  The big fuss about it 13 years ago was davka
in the USA. I don't know whether it's used at all anywhere else, or how
often.

> Is the pronouncement alleging that the practices it refers to render a
> cow insufficiently viable to be kosher?

I'm sorry, I don't understand this question.

> The right set of answers might mean there's no cholov Yisrael (even de
> jure) outside EY.

Huh?

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.