[Avodah] kashrus of milk

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue May 22 03:03:56 PDT 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 01:31:37PM +1000, SBA wrote:
:: Actually, AFAIK the Cholov Yisroel farms check out the cows to
:: ensure that they are not treif.

: I do not believe this is true. My understanding is that we rely on
: rov. (Qasheh levareir, as argued on Avodah.)
: From KCA an Oz Kosher consumer list:
: One of the conditions which require surgical procedure on a cow is something
: called a "displaced abomasum" or DA for short...

IOW, we do not check our cows to weed out tereifos. Rather, we avoid
using cows that had one particular kind of surgery which would cause it
to be a tereifah.

All the other possible tereifos are still in the herd.

I wonder if RSM (BCC-ed) could tell us what percentage of slaughtered
cows turn out to be tereifos without the surgery.

But my point -- that screening for tereifos would make milk unaffordable,
stands. We simply eliminate one common cause which is qal levareir.

In <http://www.wisc.edu/dysci/uwex/nutritn/pubs/tristateda01.pd>,
"Prevention of Displaced Abomasum", the literature estimates that LDA
(left DA) is 90% of all incidences, and occurse in somewhere between 1.4%
- 5.8% of all herds. Usually in calves, and usually ones that were fed
improperly when being weened, or had other health issues (hypocalacemia,
ie low calcium), ketosis, or bad Body Condition Score. Of those, 10%
are allowed to die.

I therefore to not know how many of the up to 5.8% are actually then
milked.

Tir'u baTov!
-mi

micha at aishdas.org        7 weeks in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Malchus sheb'Malchus: What is the ultimate
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            goal of perfect unity?