[Avodah] shemitta

Samuel Svarc ssvarc at yeshivanet.com
Sun May 20 14:50:39 PDT 2007

>From: Moshe Feldman [mailto:moshe.feldman at gmail.com]

>On 5/18/07, Samuel Svarc <ssvarc at yeshivanet.com> wrote:
>> > In R' Kook's opinion. The CI disagreed with this.
>
>See Rav Tzvi Pesach Frank in Shu"t Har Tzvi OC 2:68 who understands
>the Ramban that there is a mitzvah to eat peiros sheviis and quotes
>some others who understood the Ramban that way.  He does not mention
>that this understanding of the Ramban is a subject of dispute.

I fail to follow the logic here. His failing to mention the CI's position
causes it not to exist?

>However, the Sridei Aish 2:90 believes that the Ramban does not
>believe that there is a mitzvah to eat peiros sheviis, as nowhere in
>Shas is there a hint that there is such a mitzvah.  (Counterargument:
>couldn't the same argument be used to argue that there is no mitzvah
>of yishuv EY, yet the Ramban learns such a mitzvah from the psukim?)

Aren't we forced to say that the real poshut p'shat in the Ramban is that
the Ramban doesn't hold there's a mitzvah do eat peiros sheviis? This would
explain, both the Seridie Aish as well as the CI. Furthermore, in a previous
post you agreed, after reading the Ramban inside, that "poshut pshat" is not
so poshut after all. I.E. You were able to see both interpretations as
fitting with the words.

KT,
MSS