[Avodah] shemitta

A & C Walters acwalters at bluebottle.com
Sun May 20 13:21:42 PDT 2007

<mkopinsky at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:<c1b3e2ee0705201015m38a234fbgd75b5343f8d14a6e at mail.gmail.com>...
> On 5/19/07, A & C Walters <acwalters at bluebottle.com> wrote:
> >
> > Also, those who say that by avoiding the "difficulties" of the
> > mitzvah, it should be fakert, a person should look for them, and
> > enjoy them, let's not forget shitas Tos; (beshem R' Chaim) Kesub.
> > 110b that because of the difficulties of shmitta etc, one is potur
> > from yishuv E"Y. There is, also, no mitsvah to find mitsvahs; we
> > have enough that are hard enough; I am struggling with what I am
> > mechayiv, and probably not doing that properly - why look for more!
> > (Of course, if someone is capable of doing them all properly, then
> > why not add on a bunch more; it is more schar, but I speak for
> > myself, that I have enough)
> >
> Do you take this approach with other mitzvos?  Can you *really* say
> that you keep NO chumras at all, and take on *nothing* beyond your
> absolute obligation?

You missed my point. I did not say that I do not have any chumras (I learnt
in Brisk, and in Brisk it is said that one doesn't have any chumras; just
try to be yoitzeh me'ikur hadin according to all the shitas - this is
actually untrue; in Brisk one is not trying to be yoitseh all the shitas;
the Brisker Rov was many times meikel) All I said was there is no inyan to
shaf new mitzvehs. Of course there is an inyan to be machmir on the mitsvahs
that exist. For example, is there a mitzvah to make nedorim? To be a nozir?
It is discouraged!!! Why?!? Because one doesn't need to find more mitsvahs
and issurim. Of course if one IS a nozir, he should be machmir on all the
shitas of what he can eat, when to take a haircut etc.. But why jump into
hot water...