[Avodah] Torah Study vs. other contributions to soCIETY

David Riceman driceman at att.net
Thu May 17 06:12:57 PDT 2007

Samuel Svarc wrote:
> Sure, if someone wants to train to enhance his Torah study, go right ahead
You're changing your opinion again.  Originally it was Talmud Torah
which takes priority, then it was kvius of Talmud Torah, then it was
preparation for Talmud Torah, now it's preparation with the intent of
enhancing Talmud Torah.  Is there a precise formulation of this
preference somewhere?  It seems, l'havdil, more like Proteus than like a
halacha.
> (although I disagree with you on how effective and time efficient a route
> this is). In the context of the original discussion, the training for Zaka
> scenario was used as a stand-in for the exact opposite, where one has the
> knowledge necessary for Torah but wants to learn it's practical application
> as a means to save lives.

Why is that not also Talmud Torah? Don't you agree, for example, that
learning the umanus of shehita counts as Talmud Torah? Why is this
different?

David Riceman