[Avodah] Torah Study vs. other contributions to soCIETY

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu May 17 03:45:18 PDT 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 10:59:46PM -0400, Samuel Svarc wrote:
: The Gemara clearly, unequivocally, black and white says: "Gadol TT yoser
: m'hatzolas n'foshas". It is impossible to that the Gemora means this in an
: actual case, i.e. if someone sees, whilst learning, his neighbor drowning,
: he shouldn't rescue him, as this is clearly refuted by:
:
: 1. Clear halacha that decides otherwise,
: 2. Tosfos would comment on it, and
: 3. In the shaklah v'taryah of the Gemora this doesn't make sense.

: We are left with the incontrovertible conclusion that the Gemora was
: referring to realm of worth, not action...

The pasuq being explained is "veratzui lerov echav". Thus, it's not
even worth as HQBH measures it, but worth in terms of how fellow members
of Anshei Keneses haGedolah do.

Which also answers the question asked by RDBeckerman on Wed, May 16,
2007 at 04:28:39PM -0700:
: Who learns Pshat that he was giving up *Kavod* HaTorah? The Gemara says
: "Talmud Torah". Additionally, that is why I quoted the Chafetz Chaim who
: says openly that the one who learns Torah *has accomplished* more than the
: one who dealt in Hatzalas Nefashos.

The pasuq being explained is one of being ratzui to other people. It
therefore never crossed my mind when learning the gemara that the gemara
was explaining anything other than those other people's chiyuv of showing
him kavod.

Back to RMSS:
:     ... i.e. should he train to be in position to save lives, a future PN,
: which should he choose. And to this question the Gemora is clear: "Gadol TT
: yoser m'hatzolas n'foshas".

: Questions on *how* the Gemora came to this conclusion, based on analysis of
: the pesukim, doesn't change the fact that the Gemora *does* come to this
: conclusion.

I disagree. Since lemaaseh Mordechai did the right thing (ie by looking
at the pesuqim in question) we see that the greater gedulah of TT doesn't
tell us what a person should do.

Tir'u baTov!
-mi

micha at aishdas.org        6 weeks and 2 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Gevurah sheb'Malchus: What type of justice
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            does unity demand?