[Avodah] priorities in Talmud Torah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed May 16 14:21:52 PDT 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 3:16 pm, R Eli Turkel wrote:
: The problem is that you are quoting the "wrong poskim". The Israeli
: charedi rabbis led by R. Schach and the Steipler Zt"l paskened that a
: talmid in yeshivah is not allowed to do ANY other things....

The same is true in the US. In my day, NIRC somewhat stood out (I do
not know policy under RAFeldman) in allowing talmidim to be Pirchei
leaders. Similarly their participation in kiruv programs.

But the question was TuM adherents and whether those who committed
their whole lives to learning "reached their potential". Eilu va'eilu
means that proving one tzad is divrei E-lokim chaim has nothing to do
with proving or disproving the other tzad. We all know there is a
yeshivish derekh, and how they define the ideal.

Tir'u baTov!
-mi

--
Micha Berger             Spirituality is like a bird: if you tighten
micha at aishdas.org        your grip on it, it chokes; slacken your grip,