[Avodah] priorities in Talmud Torah

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed May 16 12:16:58 PDT 2007

I also already cited RYHutner, about "kol hama'rich 'echad'" and the
value of having as broad of a life as possible. RHS's trip to the
Alps, lest he have no answer when HQBH asks "Did you see my beautiful
Alps?" seems along the same lines. Neither limit that breadth to Torah
umitzvos. Our case should be a lo kol shekein.>>

The problem is that you are quoting the "wrong poskim". The Israeli charedi
rabbis led by R. Schach and the Steipler Zt"l paskened that a talmid in
yeshivah is not allowed to do ANY other things. This especially includes
hatzalah. However, it also includes not helping build mikvaot and other such
mitzvot.
These are supposed to be done exclusively by people outside of yeshiva

BTW the story with RHS reminds me of the similar story about the Ponivizher
Rav
who went to the aquarium in Miami (while on a fundraising mission) for the
same reason that one is required to see all of G-d's creations.

--
Eli Turkel